Monday, September 23, 2013

Core Conviction 1 | Jesus Treasuring

Emmaus City Church Core Conviction 1 Worcester MA Acts 29
When something new begins, it's always good to look back and see how much good came before. And with God, there's always a plethora of good that I tend to miss. I've been wondering, "How has God shaped me?" "Has my vision changed for how I see Him building His church in Worcester?" 

So I went back to a key question in my pastor and church planter assessment questionnaire:

In regard to the values that will shape every aspect of the life of your church, please list at least 6 core convictions/values which you (as lead planter) will never give in, nor bend on, as you plant/lead your church. Reference at least 3 scriptures to support each one.

God brought a smile to my face as reread my answers to this question. First of all, if you know me, I couldn't give just 6 core convictions. I had to go for 7. Why? Well, who doesn't like 7 better than 6? And, I write too much.

But what was most encouraging despite the fact that I have received an overwhelming abundance of wisdom, knowledge, and grace from God and others since I wrote my answer nearly 2 years ago – is that my 7 core convictions today are the 7 He gave me then, before I even knew if I would be approved as a church planter, ordained as pastor, or that the name of a new local church in Worcester would be Emmaus City Church.

So, once again, God justly receives the glory and credit that is rightly due Him for being faithful in every step of this journey, and walking with me and teaching me every step of the way. 

And I pray that He will continue to be faithful to the people who hold dear the 7 core convictions of Emmaus City Church and those He introduces to us for however long He deems it worthy for us to serve our city.

CORE CONVICTION 1 | JESUS TREASURING
A Church That is Always Holding Fast to the Gospel of Grace in Jesus 


It is good news that salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus alone. Why? I don't think I can say it better than the way Sho Baraka describes Jesus in his song, "Nicodemus:"

You're the Passover and Priest, Prophet and Sovereign King, / New Song that we sing, the Shepherd and Prince of Peace. / You're the Lord over the galaxies, powers and principalities, / Head of the family, Savior of all humanity, / Perfect Innocent Martyr, Bread and Living Water, / True image of the Father, Lamb led to slaughter. / In Genesis, we were severed, driven from Your presence. / In Revelations we'll be basking in Your glory and essence. / In the beginning, light came from the sun and moon. / In the new heavens and earth, You're the Light that consumes. / In the beginning, we are promised a lot of pain and fear. / In the end, You will wipe away every single tear. / In the beginning, it is promised we all shall die. / In the end, there's no death and the dead shall rise. / In the beginning, it is clear creation was duped. / In the end, You promise You'll make all things new. / Yeah, i know who i am, but who is He? / So it seems He's the Sovereign King.


When we begin to believe and trust in Jesus, God awakens us to new identity – of who He is and who we are – and new life we receive from Him and live in Him by His Spirit. We have a God who came as Jesus – who lived, died, and rose again for us in order to raise us from the dead, both spiritually and physically, so we can love Him and love others freely. We are saved to receive love and give our love away.

"...I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures..." (I Corinthians 15:1-4)
"But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions...For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:4, 8-9).
"It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead...Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:10,12)
 
Check back tomorrow for CORE CONVICTION 2 | HIS-STORY HONORING

 Sully

As always, if your curiosity is piqued, or something inside you is being stirred, feel free to connect.


No comments:

Post a Comment