Sunday, November 8, 2020

Gospel of Matthew 13:44-46 Message | Jesus' Kingdom Is Worth It All & More (and He Offers It All w/ Joy to You)


Jesus is infinitely worthy of worship, and in Him, you can be secure in knowing you are immensely valued. He graciously offers you the one and only treasure that will give you joy that can endure any circumstance.



Homily Scriptures | Matthew 13:44-46; 6:19-21

Homily Supporting Paraphrase | James 4:1-12, MSG

Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves. You lust for what you don’t have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn’t yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it. You wouldn’t think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you’d be asking for what you have no right to. You’re spoiled children, each wanting your own way. You’re cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way. And do you suppose God doesn’t care? The proverb has it that “He’s a fiercely jealous lover.” And what He gives in love is far better than anything else you’ll find. It’s common knowledge that “God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble.” So let God work His will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet, "Yes," to God and He’ll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it’s the only way you’ll get on your feet. Don’t bad-mouth each other, friends. It’s God’s Word, His Message, His Royal Rule, that takes a beating in that kind of talk. You’re supposed to be honoring the Message, not writing graffiti all over it. God is in charge of deciding human destiny. Who do you think you are to meddle in the destiny of others?

Prayer of Confession & Assurance |  

One: God of hope, in these times of change,
All: Unite our nation and guide our leaders with Your wisdom.
One: Forgive us when we set too much hope on human systems of power; 
All: Turn us again to seek first Your Kingdom and Your righteousness. 
One: Give us courage to overcome our fears,
All: And help us to build a future in which all may prosper and share.

One: We confess Your Kingdom comes in seemingly too small ways for us, 
All: But we trust You are at work now in spectacular ways unseen. 
One: We believe, King Jesus.
All: Holy Spirit, please help our unbelief.
One: On mountaintops You stay the same,
All: In valleys low You never change.
One: And we believe that we will see the goodness of the Lord!
All: We’re confident as seasons change, Your faithfulness remains.

One: Faithful Savior, go before us to prepare a blessing,
All: Make a way, Lord, hold all things together.
One: God of our present, God of our future,
All: Write our story, hold it all together through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Call to Worship | Colossians 2:2-3

My goal is that you may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that you may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that you may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

You Are Good
Israel Houghton & New Breed, 2012 A.D. 

Lord, You are good and Your mercy endureth forever! 
Lord, You are good and Your mercy endureth forever!

People from every nation and tongue
From generation to generation ...

We worship You! Hallelujah, Hallelujah!
We worship You for who You are.
We worship You! Hallelujah, Hallelujah!
We worship You for who You are. You are Good! 

You are good all the time! All the time, You are good!

Be Thou My Vision
St. Dallán Forgaill, 6th Century 

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart. 
Naught be all else to me save that Thou art. 
Thou my best thought by day or by night 
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom and Thou my true Word 
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord. 
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son,
Thou in me dwelling and I with Thee one.

Riches I heed not, nor vain's empty praise. 
Thou mine inheritance now and always. 
Thou and Thou only first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my treasure Thou art!

High King of Heaven, my victory won!
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heav’n’s Sun! 
Heart of my own heart whate’er befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all!

Just a Closer Walk with Thee
African American Spiritual, 1800s A.D.

Just a closer walk with Thee, 
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea!
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be!


I am weak, but Thou art strong,
Jesus, keep me from all wrong,
I’ll be satisfied as long as I walk, 
Let me walk close to Thee. (Chorus)

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee. 
(Chorus

When my feeble life is o’er,
Time for me will be no more,
Guide me gently, safely o’er
To Thy Kingdom's shore, to Thy shore! (Chorus)

Benediction based on Matthew 25:14-30

Go in the peace and power of Christ. Love and care for
one another and your neighbors in Jesus’ name, and may
God bless you with every gift needful for His work. May the
Spirit grant you the willingness to risk yourself completely
for the sake of the Gospel, and may hope and faith in Jesus
dwell richly within you until He makes all things new. Amen.

Next post: Gospel of Matthew 13:47-50 Message | Jesus' Kingdom Goes Big (He Goes Fishing for Every Kind) So We Can Come Home

To connect with us, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment