Saturday, October 31, 2020

Special All Hallow's Eve Gospel of Matthew 13:36-43 Message | Jesus Will Get the Hell Out of Earth

 

We need the God who made the world to one day put it to rights, who will confront and defeat, not only "evil" in the abstract, but those who have given their lives and energies to inventing and developing wickedness, profiting from it, luring others into it, and wreaking large-scale human devastation. ... God delegates that judgment to "the Son of Man," the One who had been sowing good seed, the One who, as Jesus' hearers would realize, stood for Jesus Himself. ... Jesus was warning them that, though what they were hoping for would indeed come soon ... they needed to think it through afresh in the light of Jesus Himself and what He was doing. + paraphrasing N.T. Wright



Homily Scriptures | Matthew 13:36-43

Homily Supporting Post | Is Hell a Skeleton in God's Closet?

Homily Supporting Bible Project Videos | 

+ BP: Intro to Spiritual Beings (5+ minutes)
+ BP: The Divine Council (6+ minutes)
+ BP: The Satan and Demons (6+ minutes)
+ BP: The Way of the Exile (5+ minutes)
+ BP: The New Humanity (5+ minutes)


Prayer of Confession & Assurance |  
 
Gracious God, our sins are too heavy to carry, too real to hide, and too deep to undo. Forgive what our lips tremble to name, what our hearts can no longer bear, and what has become for us a consuming fire of judgment. Set us free from a past that we cannot change; open to us a future in which we can be changed; and grant us grace to grow more and more in your likeness and image, through Jesus Christ, the Light of the world. Amen. 
+ Presbyterian Book of Common Worship, 1993 A.D.


Call to Worship | Hosea 10:2-4

(Our) hearts are devious; now they must bear their guilt. The LORD will break down their altars and demolish their sacred pillars. In fact, they are now saying,“We have no king! For we do not fear the LORD. What can a king do for us?” They speak mere words, taking false oaths while making covenants. So lawsuits break out like poisonous weeds in the furrows of a field. 

Christ Is Risen
Matt Maher, 2009 A.D.

Let no one caught in sin remain
Inside the lie of inward shame,
But fix our eyes upon the cross
And run to Him who showed great love
And bled for us. Freely, You've bled for us.

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling over death by death!
Come awake, come awake,
Come and rise up from the grave!
Christ is risen from the dead,
We are one with Him again!
Come awake, come awake,
come and rise up from the grave!


Beneath the weight of all our sin,
You bowed to none but heaven's will.
No scheme of hell, no scoffer's crown,
No burden great can hold You down.
In strength You reign,
Forever let Your Church proclaim! (Chorus)

O death, where is your sting?
O hell, where is your victory?
O Church, come stand in the light,
The glory of God has defeated the night!
O death, where is your sting?
O hell, where is your victory?
O Church, come stand in the light, our God is not dead!
He's alive! He's alive! (Chorus)

Land of the Rising Sun
Ike Ndolo, 2012 A.D.

The dark is groaning, the tomb is reaching out.
Oh, but they can't have me!
Oh, but they can't have me!
The crows are circling, the jackal waits in the dark.
Oh, but they can't have me!
Oh, but they can't have me!

I belong to the land of the rising Son
Where the grave is no more,
The war has been won!
I belong to the land of the rising Son,
I belong to You, I belong!


The world is in my bones, it makes me wrestle with You.
Oh, but You have claimed me!
Oh, but You have claimed me!
No matter how far I've gone, even to the devil's table.
Oh, my God, You've claimed me!
Oh, my God, You've claimed me! (Chorus)

Through my wandering, and my failing,
And my doubting, I belong!
Through the fire, and the darkness,
Through the sadness, I belong!
I'm just a rebel who's tired of fighting,
So I'm laying down these arms.
The sun is rising, the sun is rising,
The sun is rising! (Chorus)

Living Hope
Phil Wickham, 2018 A.D.

How great the chasm that lay between us,
How high the mountain I could not climb.
In desperation, I turned to heaven
And spoke Your name into the night.
Then through the darkness, Your loving-kindness
Tore through the shadows of my soul.
The work is finished, the end is written
JesusChrist, my living hope.

Who could imagine so great a mercy?
What heart could fathom such boundless grace?
The God of ages stepped down from glory
To wear my sin and bear my shame.
The cross has spoken, I am forgiven,
The King of kings calls me His own.
Beautiful Savior, I’m Yours forever,
Jesus Christ, my living hope.

Hallelujah, praise the One who set me free!
Hallelujah, death has lost its grip on me!
You have broken every chain,
There’s salvation inYour name,
Jesus Christ, my living hope!


Then came the morning that sealed the promise,
Your buried body began to breathe.
Out of the silence, the Roaring Lion
Declared the grave has no claim on me!
(Repeat) ...
Jesus, Yours is the victory! (Chorus)

Benediction based on Matthew 25:14-30

Go in the peace and power of Christ. Love and care for
one another and your neighbors in Jesus’ name, and may
God bless you with every gift needful for His work. May the
Spirit grant you the willingness to risk yourself completely
for the sake of the Gospel, and may hope and faith in Jesus
dwell richly within you until He makes all things new. Amen.


To connect with us, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment