Monday, November 25, 2019

Gospel Series Cont. | Matthew 12:1-21: Jesus' Sabbath- and Spirit-Fueled Power Not to Break a Bruised Reed w/ Rev. Tra'Vorus Weaver + Saturday, November 23






When we trust God enough to stop trying to rule our lives and Sabbath, we are given the gift of releasing our white-knuckle hold on our lives and are given the invitation to step into freedom, ultimately to behold, Jesus, and His unique ability to be the Life- and Rest-Giver for each and every one of us.


Sermon Audio | Jesus' Sabbath- and Spirit-Fueled Power Not to Break a Bruised Reed w/ Rev. Tra'Vorus Weaver

Sermon Scriptures | Matthew 12:1-21

Call to Worship | Isaiah 30:15

For the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel,
has said: “You will be delivered by returning and resting;
your strength will lie in quiet confidence."


King of Kings
Hillsong, 2019 A.D.

In the darkness we were waiting
Without hope without light,
Till from heaven You came running
There was mercy in Your eyes.
To fulfil the law and prophets
To a virgin came the Word
From a throne of endless glory
To a cradle in the dirt.

Praise the Father, Praise the Son,
Praise the Spirit, three-in-one!
God of glory, Majesty,
Praise forever to the King of kings!


To reveal the Kingdom coming
And to reconcile the lost;
To redeem the whole creation,
You did not despise the cross.
For even in Your suffering,
You saw to the other side.
Knowing this was our salvation,
Jesus, for our sake You died. (Chorus)

And the morning that You rose,
All of heaven held its breath
Till that stone was moved for good,
For the Lamb had conquered death.
And the dead rose from their tombs,
And the angels stood in awe,
For the souls of all who’d come
To the Father are restored!
And the Church of Christ was born,
Then the Spirit lit the flame!
Now this Gospel Truth of old
Shall not kneel shall not faint.
By His blood and in His Name,
In His freedom I am free
For the love of Jesus Christ
Who has resurrected me! (Chorus)

Humble Thyself + Amazing Grace Gospel Medley
Bob Hudson, John Newton, 1978 A.D., 1779 A.D.

Humble thyself in the sight of the LORD
And He will lift you up.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.

I once was lost but now I'm found.
I was blind but now I see.

When we've been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun.

We've no less days to sing God's praise
Then when we've first begun.

Grace Alone
The Modern Post, 2013 A.D.

I was an orphan lost at the Fall,
Running away when I'd hear Your call,
But Father, You worked Your will.
I had no righteousness of my own,
I had no right to draw near Your throne,
But Father, You loved me still.
And in love before You laid the world's foundation,
You predestined to adopt me as Your own.
You have raised me so high up above my station.
I'm a child of God by grace and grace alone.

You left Your home to seek out the lost,
You knew the great and terrible cost,
But Jesus, Your face was set.
I worked my fingers down to the bone,
Nothing I did could ever atone,
But Jesus, You paid my debt.
By Your blood, I have redemption and salvation,
Lord, You died that I might reap what You have sown;
And You rose that I might be a new creation,
I am born again by grace and grace alone.

I was in darkness all of my life,
I never knew the day from the night,
But Spirit, You made me see.
I swore I knew the way on my own,
Head full of rocks, a heart made of stone,
But Spirit, You moved in me.
At Your touch my sleeping spirit was awakened,
On my darkened heart the light of Christ has shone.
Called into a kingdom that cannot be shaken,
Heaven's citizen by grace and grace alone.

So I'll stand in faith by grace and grace alone!
I will run the race by grace and grace alone!
I will slay my sin by grace and grace alone!
I will reach the end by grace and grace alone!

Fall Afresh 
Jeremy Riddle, 2011 A.D.

Awaken my soul, come awake
To hunger, to seek, to thirst.
Awaken first love, come awake
And do as You did at first.

Spirit of the Living God,
Come fall afresh on me,
Come wake me from my sleep.
Blow through the caverns of my soul,
Pour in me to overflow,
To overflow.


Awaken my soul, come awake
To worship with all Your strength.
(Chorus)


Come and fill this place,
Let Your glory now invade!
Spirit, come and fill this place,
Let Your glory now invade! (Chorus


In Tenderness He Sought Me
W. Spencer Walton, 1894 A.D.

In tenderness He sought me
Weary and sick with sin.
And on His shoulders brought me
Back to His fold again.
While angels in His presence sang,
Until the courts of heaven rang!

Oh, the love that sought me!
Oh, the blood that bought me!
Oh the grace that brought me
To the fold of God!
Grace that brought me
To the fold of God!


He died for me while I was sinning,
Needy and poor and blind.
He whispered to assure me,
"I've found thee; thou art Mine."
I never heard a sweeter voice,
It made my aching heart rejoice!
(Chorus)

Upon His grace I'll daily ponder
And sing anew His praise
With all adoring wonder,
His blessings I retrace.
It seems as if eternal days,
Are far too short to sing His praise!
(Chorus)

Prayers of Confession and Assurance

One: Jesus, You are the King of kings! Spirit, ignite
the flame of awe, wonder, and witness in our lives again!
May this ancient Gospel Truth humble us, and return us
to repentance and rest in You today ...

Congregational Prayers

One: And now we pray together, Jesus, as You taught us to pray ...
All: Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Our World Belongs to God Q&A 5-6 | 2008 A.D.

Q. Where does our hope rest?
A. In God who holds this world with fierce love.
Keeping His promise,
He sends Jesus into the world,
pours out the Holy Spirit,
and announces the Good News:
sinners who repent and believe in Jesus
live anew as members of the family of God—
the firstfruits of a new creation.
We rejoice in the goodness of God,
renounce the works of darkness,
and dedicate ourselves to holy living.
As covenant partners, set free for joyful obedience,
we offer our hearts and lives
to do God’s work in the world.
With tempered impatience,
eager to see injustice ended,
we expect the Day of the Lord.
We are confident that the light
which shines in the present darkness
will fill the earth when Christ appears.
Come, Lord Jesus. Our world belongs to You.


Benediction Based on Matthew 11:28-30

Go with our Lord Jesus Christ and receive His comfort
along the way. Follow His lead and learn from Him.
Become humble in heart with Him. Discover rest for
your souls as you seek first His Kingdom,
do justice, love mercy, and make disciple-making
disciples who are present with others and practice
the words, works, and ways of the Lord of Sabbath rest.
His grace and peace is with you always.


Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment