Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Ecclesiastes Series | Who Slows Down to Hear Wisdom in the Quiet Places? (Eccles. 9:13-10:20) + Lenten Saturday, April 6





I’ve become a witness to slow transformation. But I’ve also learned this – we humans resist change! The trees permit a transformation process each year. The land seems to know. We don’t. There are reasons for this – we’re traumatized, we’re stubborn, we’re narcissistic, we’re anxious, we’re scared. The dying is painful. Bu if we permit it, we’ll succumb like the caterpillar to the chrysalis tomb. + Chuck Degroat



Sermon Series Album | Beyond Control by Kings Kaleidoscope

Let Us Love and Sing and Wonder
John Newton, 1774 A.D.

Let us love and sing and wonder,
Let us praise the Savior's name.
He has hushed the laws loud thunder,
He has quenched Mt. Sinai's flame.
Let us love the Lord Who bought us,
Pitied us when enemies;
Called us by His grace and taught us,
Gave us ears and gave us eyes.

He has washed us with His blood ... (3x)
He has brought us close to God.


Let us sing, though fierce temptation
Threatens hard to bear us down!
For the Lord, our strong salvation,
Holds in view the Conqu’ror’s crown.
Let us wonder grace and justice
Join and point to mercy's store.
When through grace in Christ our trust is,
Justice smiles and asks no more.

He has washed us with His blood ... (3x)
He will bring us home to God.


Let us praise and join the chorus
Of the saints enthroned on high.
Here they trusted Him before us,
Now their praises fill the sky.

"You have washed us with Your blood ... (3x)
You are worthy, Lamb of God!"

Not in a Hurry
United Pursuit Music, 2017 A.D.

Lord, I don’t want to rush on ahead
In my own strength
When You’re right here. (Repeat)

I’m not in a hurry when it comes to Your Spirit,
When it comes to Your presence,
When it comes to Your voice.
I’m learning to listen, just to rest in Your nearness,
I’m starting to notice You are speaking.


Lord, I want to love like You,
I want to feel what You feel,
I want to see what You see.
(Repeat + Chorus 2x)

Open my eyes, I want to see You.
Open my ears, I want to hear You speak.
Tell me Your thoughts, what's on Your mind.
I’ll be Your friend, I want to see through Your eyes,
I want to see through Your eyes. (Chorus 2x)

May Your Power Rest on Me
Isaac Watts adapted by Sojourn Music
Early 1700s A.D.; 2009 A.D.

Let me hear my Savior say, “Your strength shall return.”
Then I’ll rejoice in my weakness
As I lean on Your grace, as I lean on Your grace.

May Your power rest on me.
You are strong when I am weak.
I can bear all things when temptation springs
For You sustain me all my days.


Let me know my Savior’s face. Let my hope be secure.
Then I’ll rejoice in my weakness
As I lean on Your grace, as I lean on Your grace.
(Chorus)

Once from the Lord withdrawn
I thought that I could live my life alone.
Leaving the solid ground, I sank beneath His wisdom.
The harder I tried to climb the closer I was to find
How great is my weakness.
(Chorus)

Though the trial still goes on, Your grace will be my song!
For I can bear all things when temptation springs
For You sustain me all my days.

I Surrender
Hillsong United, 2012

Here I am down on my knees again
Surrendering all, surrendering all.
Find me here, Lord, as You draw me near
I’m desperate for You, desperate for You.
(I surrender.)

Drench my soul as mercy and grace unfold
I hunger and thirst, I hunger and thirst.
With arms stretched wide, I know You hear my cry.
Speak to me now, speak to me now.

I surrender, I surrender.
I wanna know You more, I wanna know You more.
(x2)

Like a rushing wind, Jesus breathe within!
Lord have Your way, Lord have Your way in me!
Like a mighty storm, stir within my soul!
Lord have Your way, Lord have Your way in me! (x2)

The Rock Won't Move
Vertical Church Band, 2013 A.D.

When the ground beneath my feet gives way,
And I hear the sound of crashing waves,
All my world is washing out to sea.
I'm hidden safe in the God who never moves,
Holding fast to the promise of the Truth
That You are holding tighter still to me.

The Rock won't move and His word is strong,
The Rock won't move and His love can't be undone!
The Rock won't move and His word is strong,
The Rock won't move and His love can't be undone,
The Rock of our Salvation!


My hope is in the promise of Your blood,
My support within the raging flood,
Even in the tempest, I can sing!
I'm hidden safe in the God who never moves,
Holding fast to the promise of Your Truth
That You are holding tighter still to me!
(Chorus)

Woah, Woah, Woah, the Rock of our salvation!

On Christ the Solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand,
The Rock won't move, the Rock won't move!
When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace,
The Rock won't move, the Rock won't move!
(Chorus)

Apostles' Creed | 390 A.D.

I believe in God the Father almighty,

Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the virgin Mary.

suffered under Pontius Pilate, 

was crucified, dead, and buried;

He descended to hell.

The third day He rose again!

He ascended to heaven

and is seated at the right hand
of God the Father almighty;
from there He shall come
to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,

the holy catholic* Church,

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins, 

the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting. Amen.

*Catholic stands for Jesus' Church
"according to the whole,"
across time, cultures, and nations,
that He established and continues to build
by His grace, truth, and resurrection power.


Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Silent Congregational Prayers

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil for Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever. Amen.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Benediction based on Psalm 130:5-7; Ecclesiastes 3:11a; Isaiah 33:17

Wait for the LORD and in His Word put your hope. God has made everything beautiful in its time. Your eyes will behold the king in his beauty; they will see a land that stretches afar. Go with the grace and peace of Jesus, the King of kings.

Next sermon audio and liturgy notes: Ecclesiastes Series | Will We Remember Our Creator in the Days of Our Youth? (Eccles. 11:1-12:8)

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment