Thursday, March 14, 2019

Ecclesiastes Series | Can't Get No Satisfaction? (Eccles. 5:8-6:12) + Lenten Saturday, March 9


 

Immunity to life's problems doesn't exist. We can't get no satisfaction on our own terms. But intimacy with God and others in the midst of the problems does. Satisfaction with Him is possible.


Sermon Audio | Ecclesiastes: Can't Get No Satisfaction?
Sermon Scriptures | Ecclesiastes 5:8-6:12
Sermon Film Reference | After the Storm by Hirokazu Kore-eda (on Amazon Prime) 

“I wonder why it is that men can’t love the present. Either they keep chasing whatever it is they’ve lost, or they keep dreaming beyond their reach.” + Hirokazu Kore-eda, After the Storm

Sermon Song | "Can't Get No Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones
Sermon Psalm 63:1-5 | 

1 God, You are my God; I eagerly seek You. I thirst for You; my body faints for You in a land that is dry, desolate, and without water.
2 So I gaze on You in the sanctuary to see Your strength and Your glory.
3 My lips will glorify You because Your faithful love is better than life.
4 So I will bless You as long as I live; at Your name, I will lift up my hands.
5 You satisfy me as with rich food; my mouth will praise You with joyful lips.


Sermon Quotes | 

+ Kierkegaard: Everyone who truly wants to relate to God, be intimate with Him only has one task – rejoice always.

+ Wendell Berry: Be joyful, even in the face of all the facts.

Sermon Series Album | Beyond Control by Kings Kaleidoscope

Let Justice Roll
Sojourn Worship, 2015 A.D.

Forgive us Lord, for passing by
When children cry for bread.
Forbid it Lord, that justice lies
In tatters, cold and dead.
Outside these walls run desperate streets
Where greed is law and life is cheap.
We bar the doors, refuse to see,
Or hear the words You said:

Let justice roll like a river,
Like a river, let it roll!
Let justice roll like a river,
Like a river, let it roll!


Convict us Lord, we dance and laugh
Ignoring those who weep.
Correct us Lord, our golden calf
Has lulled our hearts to sleep.
The gap between the rich and poor
Grows ever wider, shore to shore.
There’s racial hate, religious war
And wolves among the sheep. (Chorus)

Indwell us Lord, and purify 

Our hands to work for You.

Enlist us Lord, to serve nearby 

And ʻcross the waters, too.

Your image-bearers on the earth 

Will never know how much theyʼre worth

Unless we love and help them first 

And show the way to You! (Chorus)

Lord, I Need You
Chris Tomlin, 2011 A.D.

Lord, I come, I confess,
Bowing here I find my rest.
Without You I fall apart.
You're the One that guides my heart.

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You,
Every hour I need You;
My one defense, my righteousness,
Oh God, how I need You!


Where sin runs deep, Your grace is more.
Where grace is found is where You are.
And where You are, Lord, I am free,
Holiness is Christ in me! (Chorus)

Teach my song to rise to You.
When temptation comes my way,
And when I cannot stand, I'll fall on You.
Jesus, You're my hope and stay. (Chorus)

New Every Morning
Audrey Assad + Matt Maher, 2016 A.D.

In the beginning, You hovered over the water,
You broke an unbroken silence,
You spoke light into darkness and there was light.
In the beginning, we were made in Your image,
And we were naked without shame
Till we fell for the darkness and there was night.

Your mercies are new, Your mercies are new
New every morning.
Your mercies are new, Your mercies are new,
New every morning.


In the beginning, there was the Word and He was God,
And the Word was with God,
And He dwelt among us and there was life.
Oh, in the beginning, the Lamb of God was broken
And His life was poured out
For the sins of the world and there was life. (Chorus 2x)

At the cross, at the cross where I first saw Your light;
At the cross, at the cross, I received my sight.
At the cross, at the cross where You laid down Your life.
(Chorus 2x)

In My Place
Michael Bleecker, 2010 A.D.

In my place He stood condemned,
He who knew no sin became sin for us,
That we might be become His righteousness.
Bearing all my sin and shame,
The punishment and blame,
He conquered the grave that we might become
The heirs of grace.

In my place, Jesus died
The spotless Lamb laid down His life.
The wrath of God was satisfied.
In my place, Jesus died.

(Repeat Verse + Chorus)

Nail pierced hands, bleeding side,
His body bruised, my God crucified.
A crown of thorns, dying cries,
His flesh was torn, My God crucified.

Just a Closer Walk with Thee
African American Spiritual, 1800s A.D.

Just a closer walk with Thee, 

Grant it, Jesus, is my plea, 
Daily walking close to Thee, 
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be. 

I am weak, but Thou art strong, 
Jesus, keep me from all wrong, 
I’ll be satisfied as long 
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee. 

Through this world of toil and snares, 
If I falter, Lord, who cares? 
Who with me my burden shares? 
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee. 

When my feeble life is o’er, 
Time for me will be no more, 
Guide me gently, safely o’er 
To Thy Kingdom's shore, to Thy shore.

Apostles' Creed | 390 A.D.

I believe in God the Father almighty,

Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the virgin Mary.

suffered under Pontius Pilate, 

was crucified, dead, and buried;

He descended to hell.

The third day He rose again!

He ascended to heaven

and is seated at the right hand
of God the Father almighty;
from there He shall come
to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,

the holy catholic* Church,

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins, 

the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting. Amen.

*Catholic stands for Jesus' Church
"according to the whole,"
across time, cultures, and nations,
that He established and continues to build
by His grace, truth, and resurrection power.


Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Silent Congregational Prayers

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil for Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever. Amen.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Benediction based on Psalm 130:5-7; Ecclesiastes 3:11a; Isaiah 33:17

Wait for the LORD and in His Word put your hope. God has made everything beautiful in its time. Your eyes will behold the king in his beauty; they will see a land that stretches afar. Go with the grace and peace of Jesus, the King of kings.

Next sermon audio and liturgy notes: Ecclesiastes Series | Who is Like the Wise? (Eccles. 7:1-8:1)

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment