Monday, April 30, 2018

Sermon on the Mount Series | Matthew 5:17-37: Writing His Rule of Love on Our Hearts + Saturday, April 28, 2018





"In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus drills deeply into the total transformation God has in mind for those who have tasted His goodness." + Pastor Bryan Loritts


An essential part of the mission of God's people is nothing other than to be who we are – disciples who are distinctive like Jesus – by living out the holiness of God (shaken out and shining forth, not self-contained, witnessed in public) in practical everyday living ... through the grace of obedience, responding to the grace of salvation and living in the grace of mission." + C.H. Wright, The Mission of God's People

Old Testament Scriptures | Psalm 119:33-43
New Testament Scriptures | Matthew 5:17-37

Welcome! Bienvenido! Akwaaba! Mirë se vjen!
خوش آمدید Bem-vindos! 歡迎光臨! Céad míle fáilte!

We invite you to listen with us to the history-altering, world-restoring, personally-transforming Gospel: the Good News that Jesus is Emmanuel, God with us, come to save us and bring His Kingdom of justice, mercy, and peace to our world.

In response to this Good News, we follow Jesus together as City Groups in Worcester who seek to love our neighbors and serve our city in the joy and justice of God for the life of the world.

Spirituality Questions

Are you curious? Consider asking someone a question or two about Jesus and Christian spirituality even if you don't believe.

Are you open? Consider your emotional and spiritual needs, and step into asking if Jesus can meet them and help you.

Are you searching? Consider exploring more about Jesus even if you are not sure who He is; example: "If I could ask Jesus one honest question that would help me trust Him, what would I ask?"

Are you beginning to believe? Consider how your life would be transformed if you followed Jesus. Ask God to help you understand the Good News that through Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, He is restoring everything sin has ruined in your life and in the world. 

Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34

Call: Jesus, we worship You, our God and King, who fulfills the Law of the LORD and does not let one iota of it pass until You accomplish all You set out to do for the glory of God and the salvation of Your people.

Response: Call us to bend a knee and bow our hearts to Your reign and rule of love. May we grow in loving You and obeying Your commands as we walk today in the resurrection victory over sin and death You have given us.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

Call: King Jesus, continue to powerfully ignite in us Your passion and Your sacrifice by Your Holy Spirit so that we become more like You by obeying Your Word. Empower us to do the work You've given us as we pray:

Response: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil for Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever. Amen.

We Have Come (Bless the Lord)
By Will Reagan and United Pursuit Band
2010 A.D.

We have come to give You glory!
We have come to give You praise!

You’re welcome in this place!
You’re welcome in this place!
You’re welcome in this place!

Have Your way, have Your way,
Have Your way!

Bless the Lord, oh my soul,
And let all that’s within me shout out!

It’s only You we want.

Establish the Work of Our Hands
By Aaron Keyes, Sandra McCracken,
and Urban Doxology
2017 A.D.

If You don't build it, we labor in vain.
Without Your Spirit, we stand with no strength.
I know my life is passing away,
But the works of Your hands will remain.

Let the favor of the LORD rest upon us.
Oh LORD, establish the work of our hands!
Oh LORD, establish the work of our hands!

Teach us to number the length of our days.
Pour out Your power, we'll pour out Your praise.
Teach us to run, to finish the race,
For only what's done in love will remain.
(Chorus)

Al-le-lu-ia! Al-le-lu-ia! Al-le-lu-ia!

This Glorious Grace
By Austin Stone Worship
2013 A.D.

God, I need You,
I need You, I need You,
With every breath,
every pulse of my heart.
Christ have mercy, have mercy,
Let mercy abound,
I need You, I need You now.

God, pour out Your grace,
Glorious grace
That we would be held by
Your perfect embrace!
We are undeserving,
You are high and worthy,
All of our praise
For this glorious grace!


God we're longing,
We're longing to see You,
In Your presence
All darkness will fade.
Shine Your glory, Your glory,
Let glory surround,
We're longing to see You now.
(Chorus)

God, Your grace
Like rising seas
Has swallowed death
And sin in me!

Glory to our God who saves,
Jesus Christ, our glorious grace!
(Chorus)

God we worship, we worship,
We worship You
For Your glory, our all in all.
You are worthy, You’re worthy,
You’re worthy,
We worship, we worship You.
God we need You,
We need You now.

By Matt Maher
2009 A.D.

Let no one caught in sin remain
Inside the lie of inward shame,
But fix our eyes upon the cross
And run to Him who showed great love
And bled for us.
Freely, You've bled for us.

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling over death by death!
Come awake, come awake,
Come and rise up from the grave!
Christ is risen from the dead,
We are one with Him again!
Come awake, come awake,
Come and rise up from the grave!


Beneath the weight of all our sin,
You bowed to none but heaven's will.
No scheme of hell, no scoffer's crown,
No burden great can hold You down.
In strength You reign,
Forever let Your Church proclaim!
(Chorus)

O death, where is your sting?
O hell, where is your victory?
O Church, come stand in the light,
The glory of God has defeated the night!
O death, where is your sting?
O hell, where is your victory?
O Church, come stand in the light,
Our God is not dead!
He's alive! He's alive!
(Chorus)

May Your Power Rest on Me
By Isaac Watts; Sojourn Music
Early 1700s A.D.; 2009 A.D.

Let me hear my Savior say
“Your strength shall return.”
Then I’ll rejoice in my weakness
As I lean on Your grace,
As I lean on Your grace.

May Your power rest on me.
You are strong when I am weak.
I can bear all things
When temptation springs
For You sustain me all my days.


Let me know my Savior’s face.
Let my hope be secure.
Then I’ll rejoice in my weakness
As I lean on Your grace,
As I lean on Your grace.
(Chorus)

Once from the Lord withdrawn
I thought that I could live my life alone.
Leaving the solid ground,
I sank beneath His wisdom.
The harder I tried to climb,
The closer I was to find
How great is my weakness.
(Chorus)

Though the trial still goes on,
Your grace will be my song!
For I can bear all things
When temptation springs
For You sustain me all my days.

Break Every Chain | Fill Me Up Medley
By Tasha Cobbs and Will Reagan
2013 A.D.; 2015 A.D.

There is power
In the name of Jesus (x3) ...
To break every chain (x3)!

All sufficient sacrifice,
So freely given,
Such a price
Bought My redemption,
Heaven's gates swing wide.

There's an army rising up (x3) ...
To break every chain (x3)!

You provide the fire,
I'll provide the sacrifice.
You provide the Spirit,
I will open up inside.

Fill me up, God (x3) ...
Fill me up!

Love of God, overflow.
Permeate all my soul.
Fill me up
Until I overflow!
I want to run over,
I want to run over!


Our World Belongs to God 5&6
2008 A.D.

Q. How has God blessed us and the world today?
A. God holds this world with fierce love.
Keeping His promise, He sends Jesus
into the world, pours out the Holy Spirit,
and announces the Good News of the Kingdom:
sinners who repent and believe in Jesus
live anew as members of the family of God—
the firstfruits of a new creation.
We rejoice in the goodness of God,
renounce the works of darkness,
and dedicate ourselves to holy living.
As covenant partners,
set free for joyful obedience,
we offer our hearts and lives
to do God’s work in the world.
With tempered impatience,
eager to see injustice ended,
we expect the Day of the Lord.
We are confident that the light
which shines in the present darkness
will fill the earth when Christ appears.
Come, Lord Jesus. Our world belongs to You.

Hosea 11:10-11; John 3:1-21;
Acts 2:36-39: Romans 10:7-11:
Ephesians 2:1-10; Leviticus 23:9-14:
James 1:18


Sermon on the Mount Benediction 
Based on Matthew 5-7

King Jesus, please bless us to embrace the joy
You give us in our brokenness and mourning,
eternal blessing that humbles the might,
intellect, and comforts of this current world.
Transform us into Your Kingdom community
through the crucible of Your way of the cross.
Write Your Kingdom rule and reign on our hearts
making us pure by Your perfect love, mercy, and justice.
May a watching world see Your light, taste Your salt,
and be welcomed into Your city on a hill through us.
Embolden us to be Your Kingdom ambassadors,
change agents who display the Good News You offer.
Make us decrease so that You might increase.
Stir in us Your grace, compassion, and sacrifice
for those who would seek to marginalize
and silence us because of You.
Everything we need is Yours to give us.
You are the treasure that we desperately seek.
You invite us home as prodigals
returning to our Father’s embrace;
Your prayer for the Kingdom coming
provides the answer to all our longings.
Free us of any fear, distraction, craving, or anxiety
that would keep us from fully following You
and building our lives on the Rock that is Your Word.
By Your Holy Spirit, keep us on
Your path of justice and righteousness.
It is with You, King Jesus, that hope is secure,
for us and all of creation, now and forever.

Now go in the blessing and name of King Jesus
by the power of His personally-transforming
grace and world-restoring peace. Amen.
Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment