Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Abide in Jesus Ascension: Our Place is with Christ, Our Ascended Human, Priest, and King + Saturday, May 27, 2017





What's so amazing about the ascension?

Jesus is abundantly alive. He did not raise from the dead only later to die again like Lazarus, Jairus’ daughter, the widow of Nain’s son, Eutychus, or Tabitha. Jesus’ body will not be found because He took its glorified tangibility to heaven.
Heaven is thicker than earth. Jesus is there, taking up material space. He is touchable, present. Clearly, heaven is not less real than earth but more. It is a thicker reality than our four-dimensional space, more vibrant, more colorful, more real.
God’s plan for His glory filling the earth is being realized. Adam and Eve were charged with filling the earth and subduing it. Though they didn't fulfill God's mission for the earth, His gracious and powerful plan for humanity cannot be stopped. Women and men will reflect God’s glory in justly ruling over creation. In the Incarnation, God sends His only Son to right the course, reverse the curse, and begin the restoration of all things. Jesus, the second Adam, is fulfilling God’s plan for man to reflect divine glory in righteously caring for and reigning over creation. 
The Incarnation is an enduring miracle. The Incarnation was a humbling of God the Son, but not a lessening of Him. What the ascension means is that Jesus Christ forever remains God the King who is Jesus. His ascended Incarnation is part of His ongoing efforts to fill all things. The Incarnation is a miracle with no expiration date.
The ascension reveals how great the gospel of union with Christ is. We are united with Christ through faith, and where He is we will be also. The ascension means we will go to heaven in spirit, and heaven will come to us in body. The ascension is the full fruition of the promise of Christ’s resurrection being the firstfruits of new creation for us and the entire world. The ascension holds out the promise, the blessed hope, not just of life after death, but as N.T. Wright says, life after life after death.

+ adapted from Jared C. Wilson's "5 Things the Ascension Means"

Bible Passages | Luke 24:50-52; Ephesians 2:4-6; Hebrews 4:14-16; Colossians 3:1-4; John 14:10-11, 16-18

Jesus’ Prayer for His Disciples
Matthew 6:9-13

Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done 
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those
Who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil.
(For Thine is the Kingdom,
The power and the glory forever and ever.
Amen.)

Come As You Are
By David Crowder
2014 A.D.

Come out of sadness
From wherever you’ve been.
Come broken hearted,
Let rescue begin.
Come find your mercy,
Oh sinners, come kneel.
Earth has no sorrow
That Heaven can’t heal.
Earth has no sorrow
That Heaven can’t heal.

So lay down your burdens,
Lay down your shame.
All who are broken,
Lift up your face.
Oh, wanderers come home.
You’re not too far.
So lay down your hurt,
Lay down your heart,
Come as you are.

There’s hope for the hopeless,
And all those who’ve strayed.
Come sit at the table.
Come taste the grace.
There’s rest for the weary,
Rest that endures.
Earth has no sorrow
That Heaven can’t cure.
Earth has no sorrow
That Heaven can’t cure.
(Chorus)

There’s joy for the morning,
Oh, sinners be still.
Earth has no sorrow
That Heaven can’t heal.
Earth has no sorrow
That Heaven can’t heal.
(Chorus)

In Tenderness He Sought Me
By W. Spencer Walton
1894 A.D.

In tenderness He sought me
Weary and sick with sin.
And on His shoulders brought me
Back to His fold again.
While angels in His presence sang,
Until the courts of heaven rang!

Oh, the love that sought me!
Oh, the blood that bought me!
Oh the grace that brought me
To the fold of God!
Grace that brought me
To the fold of God!

He died for me while I was sinning,

Needy and poor and blind.
He whispered to assure me,
"I've found thee; thou art Mine."
I never heard a sweeter voice,
It made my aching heart rejoice!
(Chorus)

Upon His grace I'll daily ponder

And sing anew His praise
With all adoring wonder,
His blessings I retrace.
It seems as if eternal days,
Are far too short to sing His praise!
(Chorus)

Abide in Me | In My Weakness Gospel Medley
By Urban Doxology and Stephanie Robinson
2012 A.D., 1994 A.D.

Abide in Me,
Take rest in Me,
Apart from Me,
You can do nothing
.
It is My will
That you bear much fruit.
Abide in Me,
Take rest in Me
There’s work to do! 


I am the Vine,
You are the branches.
You’re qualified to be a blessing.
You are the clay,
I am the Potter.
Through you,
I will do great things!
(Chorus and Verse)
 

In my weakness
You my God are strong.
In my trials, You are my song.
I fall on my knees, I can’t go on,
But in my weakness,
You my God are strong.

By Kristian Stanfill
2010 A.D.

Your love never fails,
It never gives up,
It never runs out on me!


And it's higher than
The mountains that I face,
And it's stronger than
The power of the grave,
And it's constant in the trial
And the change;
This one thing remains!
 (Chorus)

And on and on and on
And on it goes!
Yes, it overwhelms and satisfies
And I never, ever,
Have to be afraid!
This one thing remains,
This one thing remains!
 (Chorus)

In death, in life
I'm confident and covered by
The power of Your great love!
My debt is paid,
There's nothing that can separate
My heart from Your great love!
(Chorus)

By Ike Ndolo
2012 A.D.

The dark is groaning,
The tomb is reaching out.
Oh, but they can't have me!
Oh, but they can't have me!

The crows are circling,
The jackal waits in the dark.
Oh, but they can't have me!
Oh, but they can't have me!


I belong to the 

Land of the rising Son
Where the grave is no more,
The war has been won!
I belong to the Land of the rising Son,
I belong to You, I belong!

The world is in my bones,

It makes me wrestle with You.
Oh, but You have claimed me!
Oh, but You have claimed me!

No matter how far I've gone,
Even to the devil's table.
Oh, my God, You've claimed me!
Oh, my God, You've claimed me!
(Chorus)


Through my wandering,

And my failing,
And my doubting, I belong!
Through the fire,
And the darkness,
Through the sadness, I belong!
I'm just a rebel,
Who's tired of fighting,
So I'm laying down these arms.
The sun is rising, the sun is rising,
The sun is rising!
(Chorus)


Crown Him with Many Crowns!

By Matthew Bridges and Godfrey Thring
1851 A.D.


Crown Him with many crowns

The Lamb upon His throne,
Hark! how the heavenly anthem drowns
All music but its own!
Awake, my soul, and sing
Of Him who died for thee,
And hail Him as thy matchless King
Through all eternity!


Crown Him the Lord of life, 

Who triumphed o'er the grave,
And rose victorious in the strife
For those He came to save!
His glories now we sing,
Who died, and rose on high,
Who died, eternal life to bring,
And lives that death may die!


Crown Him the Lord of peace, 

Whose power a scepter sways
From pole to pole, that wars may cease,
And all be prayer and praise!
His reign shall know no end,
And round His pierced feet
Fair flowers of paradise extend
Their fragrance ever sweet!


Crown Him the Lord of love; 

Behold His hands and side,
Those wounds, yet visible above,
In beauty glorified!
All hail, Redeemer, hail!
For Thou hast died for me;
Thy praise and glory shall not fail
Throughout eternity!

Benediction

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God the Father, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. + 2 Corinthians 13:14

Next post: Abide in Jesus Pentecost: Following, Failing, and Following Again in the Strength of Jesus + Saturday, June 3, 2017

+ Sully

No comments:

Post a Comment