Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Family Mass w/ Living Word Church | Luke 1:76-79: The Way of Peace by the Power of the Spirit + Saturday, January 4

An Invitation into Whole-making Rest in 2020 (Image from The Bible Project)




God was pleased to have His fullness dwell in Jesus, making peace through His blood, shed on the cross. Jesus’ Church was given peace and was strengthened. Living in the awe of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, the Church increased. Stand, therefore, with truth like a belt around your waist, righteousness like armor on your chest, and your feet sandaled with readiness for the Gospel of peace. + Colossians 1:18, 20; Acts 9:31; Ephesians 6:14-15


Sermon Scriptures | Luke 1:76-79; Ephesians 6:15

Call to Worship Revelation 21:3-5 

Look, God’s dwelling is with humanity, and He will live with them. They will be His peoples, and God Himself will be with them and will be their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; grief, crying, and pain will be no more, because the previous things have passed away. Then the One seated on the throne said, “Look, I am making everything new.”

Trading My Sorrows 

Darrel Evans, 1998 A.D.

I'm trading my sorrows, 

I'm trading my shame,
I'm laying them down 

For the joy of the Lord. (Repeat)

And we sing "Yes, Lord, Yes, Lord, 

Yes, yes, Lord! ... Amen!"

I'm pressed, but not crushed, 

Persecuted, not abandoned,
Struck down, but not destroyed!
I am blessed beyond the curse 

For His promise will endure
That His joy is going to be my strength!
Though the sorrows may last for the night,
His joy comes with the morning!

Look and See

Village Church, 2012 A.D.

To Him be the glory for all He has done!
Praise to the Father who gave us His Son!
A ransom for many, He bled and died
Then rose in victory enthroned on high! 


To Him be the glory in heaven and earth,
All of creation is shouting His worth.
The saints and the angels all live to proclaim
The wonderful Story, the glorious Name!

Oh look and see our God and celebrate
The power of the cross and the empty grave!
And now we're free, let the redeemed
Lift up your heads, oh look and see our God!


To Him be the glory, He's coming again
And all of the sadness will come to an end!
Oh what a reunion, the Bride and her King!
Forever we'll praise Him, forever we'll sing! (Chorus)


The Everlasting God (Psalm 27) 
William Murphy, 2016 A.D.

The Lord is my Light and salvation.
Whom shall I fear? Of whom shall I be afraid? (x2)

I will wait on You, I will wait on You.
I will trust in You, I will trust in You.

I will remain confident in this:
I will see the goodness of the Lord. (x2)

We set our hope on You, we set our hope on Your love,
We set our hope on the One who is the everlasting God!
You are the everlasting God! You are the everlasting! (x3)

Fall Afresh 

Jeremy Riddle, 2011 A.D.

Awaken my soul, come awake 
To hunger, to seek, to thirst.
Awaken first love, come awake 
And do as You did at first.

Spirit of the Living God,
Come fall afresh on me,
Come wake me from my sleep. 
Blow through the caverns of my soul,
Pour in me to overflow, to overflow.


Awaken my soul, come awake
To worship with all Your strength. (Chorus)

Come and fill this place, 
Let Your glory now invade!
Spirit, come and fill this place, 
Let Your glory now invade! (Chorus)

Break Every Chain + Fill Me Up Gospel Medley
Tasha Cobbs Leonard & Will Reagan, 2013 & 2015 A.D.

There is power in the name of Jesus (x3) ...
To break every chain, break every chain, 

Break every chain!

All sufficient sacrifice, 
So freely given, such a price
Bought my redemption, 
Heaven's gates swing wide.

There's an army rising up (x3) ...
To break every chain, 
Break every chain, break every chain!

You provide the fire, I'll provide the sacrifice.
You provide the Spirit, I will open up inside.

Fill me up, God (x3) ... Fill me up!

Love of God, overflow, permeate all my soul.
Fill me up until I overflow! 
I want to run over, I want to run over!

Prayers of Confession and Assurance

One: Jesus, today, we join in singing Your words
to the next generation. We confess we need You to ...

Congregational Prayers: "Lord, hear our prayer."

One: And now we pray together, Jesus, as You taught us to pray ...

All: Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me. I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are. Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself, the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to unite us, strengthen us, and empower us to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses together until You return and make all things new. Amen.


Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again. 
Jesus, dying, You destroyed our death.
Rising, You restored our life.
Lord Jesus, come in glory! 

Our World Belongs to God Q&A 30, 39 | 2008 A.D.


Q. How do we prepare the way of the Lord by the power of the Spirit?

A. The Holy Spirit gathers people from every tongue, tribe,
and nation into the unity of the body of Christ, the Church.
Anointed and sent by the Spirit, we are sent into the world,
ambassadors of God’s peace, announcing forgiveness and reconciliation, proclaiming the good news of grace. ...
Restored in Christ’s presence, shaped by His life,
we live out the ongoing story of God’s reconciling love,
announcing the new creation, and
working for a world of justice and peace.

Benediction Based on The Benedictus (Luke 1:67-79) 

Go in the filling of the Spirit of the Lord and prepare the way for people to encounter Jesus in Worcester and beyond with the knowledge of His salvation and the forgiveness of sins. Because of our God’s merciful compassion, the Son breaks the grip of despair and will visit our city to shine His Light on those who live in darkness and the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of His peace. You are sent out in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Next sermon audio + liturgy notes post: Luke 24:13-49: The Road to Emmaus

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of Micro City Groups.

A Micro City Group (CG) is a growing group that begins with 3+ people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. Micro CGs start small enough that people can know you and value you, but seek to grow large enough (10-30 people) to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current Micro City Groups: Lincoln Village | W.R.A.P. | Recovery | YMCA | Route One | Westside 

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment