Monday, November 4, 2019

Gospel Series Cont. | Matthew 10:17-11:19: Jesus Makes the Least Greater + Saturday, November 2






In the Father, we put our faith, King of the Kingdom. + Kanye West, "Use This Gospel"


Sermon Audio | Jesus Makes the Least Greater

Sermon Scriptures | Matthew 10:17-11:19


10:29 Aren’t two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father’s consent. 30 But even the hairs of your head have all been counted. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. ... 39 Anyone who finds his life will lose it, and anyone who loses his life because of me will find it. ... 42 And whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is a disciple, truly I tell you, he will never lose his reward. ... 11:11 Truly I tell you, among those born of women no one greater than John the Baptist has appeared, but the least in the Kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Call to Worship | Isaiah 14:3-5

3 When the LORD gives you rest from your pain,
torment, and the hard labor you were forced to do,
4 you will sing this song of contempt about
the king of Babylon and say:
How the oppressor has quieted down,
and how the raging has become quiet!
5 The LORD has broken the staff of the wicked,
the scepter of the rulers.


Come People of the Risen King
Stuart Townend, 2007 A.D.

Come people of the Risen King,
Who delight to bring Him praise.
Come all and tune your hearts to sing
To the Morning Star of grace.
From the shifting shadows of the earth
We will lift our eyes to Him,
Where steady arms of mercy reach
To gather children in.

Rejoice! Rejoice!
Let every tongue rejoice!
One heart, one voice,
O Church of Christ, rejoice!


Come those whose joy is morning sun
And those weeping through the night.
Come those who tell of battles won,
And those struggling in the fight.
For His perfect love will never change,
And His mercies never cease,
But follow us through all our days
With the certain hope of peace.
(Chorus)

Come young and old from every land,
Men and women of the faith.
Come those with full or empty hands,
Find the riches of His grace.
Over all the world, His people sing,
Shore to shore we hear them call
The Truth that cries through every age;
"Our God is all in all!"
(Chorus)

Father Let Your Kingdom Come
Porter's Gate Worship Project, 2017 A.D.

Hallelu! Hallelujah!
Father, let Your Kingdom come! (x4)


May the works of my hands
Bring You joy. (x4 + Chorus)

May the words from my mouth
Speak Your peace. (x4 + Chorus)

You make all things new,
You make all things new
In places we don't choose;
You make all things new! (Chorus)

Who You Say I Am
Hillsong, 2018 A.D.

Who am I that the highest King
Would welcome me?
I was lost but He brought me in
Oh, His love for me! Oh, His love for me!

Who the Son sets free, oh, is free indeed!
I'm a child of God, Yes, I am!


Free at last, He has ransomed me.
His grace runs deep.
While I was a slave to sin,
Jesus died for me.Yes, He died for me!

Who the Son sets free, oh, is free indeed!
I'm a child of God, Yes, I am!
In my Father's house there's a place for me,
I'm a child of God, Yes I am!


I am chosen, not forsaken,
I am who You say I am!
You are for me, not against me,
I am who You say I am! 


The Kingdom Is Yours
Common Hymnal, 2017 A.D.

Blessed are the ones who do not bury
All the broken pieces of their heart.
Blessed are the tears of all the weary
Pouring like a sky of falling stars.

Blessed are the wounded ones in mourning,
Brave enough to show the Lord their scars.
Blessed are the hurts that are not hidden,
Open to the healing touch of God.

The Kingdom is yours, the Kingdom is yours,
Hold on a little more, this is not the end.
Hope is in the Lord, keep your eyes on Him.


Blessed are the ones who walk in kindness
Even in the face of great abuse.
Blessed are the deeds that go unnoticed,
Serving with unguarded gratitude.

Blessed are the ones who fight for justice,
Longing for the coming day of peace.
Blessed is the soul that thirsts for righteousness,
Welcoming the last, the lost, the least. (Chorus)

Blessed are the ones who suffer violence
And still have strength to love their enemies.
Blessed is the faith of those who persevere.
Though they fall, they'll never know defeat.

Grace Alone
The Modern Post, 2013 A.D.

I was an orphan lost at the Fall,
Running away when I'd hear Your call,
But Father, You worked Your will.
I had no righteousness of my own,
I had no right to draw near Your throne,
But Father, You loved me still.
And in love before You laid the world's foundation,
You predestined to adopt me as Your own.
You have raised me so high up above my station.
I'm a child of God by grace and grace alone.

You left Your home to seek out the lost,
You knew the great and terrible cost,
But Jesus, Your face was set.
I worked my fingers down to the bone,
Nothing I did could ever atone,
But Jesus, You paid my debt.
By Your blood, I have redemption and salvation,
Lord, You died that I might reap what You have sown;
And You rose that I might be a new creation,
I am born again by grace and grace alone.

I was in darkness all of my life,
I never knew the day from the night,
But Spirit, You made me see.
I swore I knew the way on my own,
Head full of rocks, a heart made of stone,
But Spirit, You moved in me.
At Your touch my sleeping spirit was awakened,
On my darkened heart the light of Christ has shone.
Called into a kingdom that cannot be shaken,
Heaven's citizen by grace and grace alone.

So I'll stand in faith by grace and grace alone!
I will run the race by grace and grace alone!
I will slay my sin by grace and grace alone!
I will reach the end by grace and grace alone!


Prayers of Confession and Assurance

One: Father, let Your Kingdom, let Your
will be done in us in Worcester as it is in heaven ...

Congregational Prayers
All: Lord, hear our prayer.


One: And now we pray together, Jesus, as You taught us to pray ...
All: Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Our World Belongs to God Q&A 5-6 | 2008 A.D.

Q. Where does our hope rest?
A. In God who holds this world with fierce love.
Keeping His promise,
He sends Jesus into the world,
pours out the Holy Spirit,
and announces the Good News:
sinners who repent and believe in Jesus
live anew as members of the family of God—
the firstfruits of a new creation.
We rejoice in the goodness of God,
renounce the works of darkness,
and dedicate ourselves to holy living.
As covenant partners, set free for joyful obedience,
we offer our hearts and lives
to do God’s work in the world.
With tempered impatience,
eager to see injustice ended,
we expect the Day of the Lord.
We are confident that the light
which shines in the present darkness
will fill the earth when Christ appears.
Come, Lord Jesus. Our world belongs to You.


Benediction Based on Matthew 11:28-30

Go with our Lord Jesus Christ and receive His comfort
along the way. Follow His lead and learn from Him.
Become humble in heart with Him. Discover rest for
your souls as you seek first His Kingdom,
do justice, love mercy, and make disciple-making
disciples who are present with others and practice
the words, works, and ways of the Lord of Sabbath rest.
His grace and peace is with you always.


Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment