Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Freedom in the Spirit Series | Free to Pray at All Times in the Spirit + Saturday, July 27





God wants us to have soft hearts and hard feet, not soft feet and hard hearts. Bank your life on a miracle. Simple acts of faith in praying are like a weapon of mass destruction against the kingdom of darkness. + Jackie Pullinger, Chasing the Dragon: One Women's Struggle Against the the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Dens


Sermon Audio | Free to Pray at All Times in the Spirit

Sermon Scriptures | Ephesians 6:10-24


" ... By 1861, Hudson Tayler became seriously ill (probably with hepatitis) and was forced to return to England from China to recover. In England, Taylor continued translating the Bible into Chinese (a work he'd begun in China), studied to become a midwife, and recruited more missionaries. He made plans to recruit 24 missionaries: two for each of the 11 unreached inland provinces and two for Mongolia. It was a visionary plan that would have left veteran recruiters breathless: it would increase the number of China missionaries by 25 percent.

Taylor himself was wracked with doubt: he worried about sending men and women unprotected into the interior; at the same time, he despaired for the millions of Chinese who were dying without the hope of the Gospel. In 1865 he wrote in his diary, "For two or three months, intense conflict … Thought I should lose my mind." A friend invited him to the south coast of England, to Brighton, for a break. And it was there, while walking along the beach, that Taylor's gloom lifted: "There the Lord conquered my unbelief, and I surrendered myself to God for this service. I told Him that all responsibility as to the issues and consequences must rest with Him; that as His servant it was mine to obey and to follow Him."
 
Within a year of his breakthrough, Taylor, his wife and four children, and 16 young missionaries sailed from London to join five others already in China working under Taylor's direction. The missionaries would simply trust God to supply their needs; furthermore, its missionaries would adopt Chinese dress and then press the Gospel into the China interior, including single and married individuals, woman and men alike. Taylor's boldness knew no bounds. In 1881, he asked God for another 70 missionaries by the close of 1884: he got 76. In late 1886, Taylor prayed for another 100 within a year: by November 1887, he announced 102 candidates had been accepted for service. ... "

Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Call to Worship | Psalm 5:1-7

1 Listen to my words, LORD; consider my sighing.
2 Pay attention to the sound of my cry,
my King and my God, for I pray to you.
3 In the morning, Lord, You hear my voice;
in the morning I plead my case to You and watch expectantly.
4 For You are not a God who delights in wickedness;
evil cannot dwell with You.
5 The boastful cannot stand in Your sight;
You hate all evildoers.
6 You destroy those who tell lies;
the LORD abhors violent and treacherous people.
7 But I enter Your house by the abundance of Your faithful love;
I bow down toward Your holy temple in reverential awe of You.


Father Let Your Kingdom Come
Porter's Gate Worship Project, 2017 A.D.

Hallelu! Hallelujah!
Father, let Your Kingdom come! (x4)


May the works of my hands
Bring You joy. (x4 + Chorus)

May the words from my mouth
Speak Your peace. (x4 + Chorus)

You make all things new,
You make all things new
In places we don't choose;
You make all things new! (Chorus

Your Spirit
Tasha Cobbs Leonard, 2017 A.D.

Not by might, not by power,
By Your Spirit, God,
Send Your Spirit, God. (Repeat)


You are the fire, we are the temple.
Your are the voice, we are Your song.
You are our God, we are Your people.
You are the light, we stand in awe ...

We stand in awe of You,
We stand in awe of You!
(Chorus)

You called us out, out of the darkness
Into Your love, into Your light.
Grace upon grace, beauty for ashes,
You come to us, we come alive.

We stand in awe of You,
We stand in awe of You!
(Chorus 2x)

Breathe, come and breathe on us!
Spirit breathe, come and breathe on us!

Spirit Lead Me
Influence Music, 2018 A.D.

This is my worship, this is my offering.
In every moment, I withhold nothing.
I’m learning to trust You,
Even when I can’t see it.
Even in suffering, I have to believe it.

If You say it’s wrong, then I’ll say "No."
If You say release, I’m letting go.
If You’re in it with me, I’ll begin.
And when You say to jump, I’m diving in
If You say be still, then I will wait.
If You say to trust, I will obey
I don’t want to follow my own way.
I’m done chasing feelings,
"Spirit, lead me."



It felt like a burden, but once I could grasp it
You took me further, further then I was asking.
Simply to see You, it’s worth it all
My life is an altar, let Your fire fall. (Chorus)

When all hope is gone and Your Word is all I got.
I have to believe You still bring water from the Rock
To satisfy my thirst, to love me at my worst.
And even when I don’t remember,
You remind me of my worth.
I don’t trust my ways, I’m trading in my thoughts.
I’d lay down everything, cause’ You’re all that I want.
I’ve landed on my knees, this is the cup You have for me.
And even when it don’t make sense,
I’m going to let Your Spirit lead!

Spirit lead me, Spirit lead me ... (Chorus)

Fall Afresh
Jeremy Riddle, 2011 A.D.

Awaken my soul, come awake
To hunger, to seek, to thirst.
Awaken first love, come awake
And do as You did at first.

Spirit of the Living God,
Come fall afresh on me,
Come wake me from my sleep.
Blow through the caverns of my soul,
Pour in me to overflow,
To overflow.


Awaken my soul, come awake
To worship with all Your strength.
(Chorus)


Come and fill this place,
Let Your glory now invade!
Spirit, come and fill this place,
Let Your glory now invade! (Chorus)

Yet Not I But Through Christ in Me
City Alight, 2018 A.D.

What gift of grace is Jesus my Redeemer!
There is no more for heaven now to give.
He is my joy, my righteousness, and freedom,
My steadfast love, my deep and boundless peace.
To this I hold, my hope is only Jesus,
For my life is wholly bound to His.
Oh how strange and divine, I can sing: all is mine!
Yet not I, but through Christ in me!

The night is dark but I am not forsaken
For by my side, the Savior He will stay.
I labor on in weakness and rejoicing
For in my need, His power is displayed.
To this I hold, my Shepherd will defend me,
Through the deepest valley He will lead.
Oh the night has been won, and I shall overcome!
Yet not I, but through Christ in me!

No fate I dread, I know I am forgiven.
The future sure, the price it has been paid.
For Jesus bled and suffered for my pardon
And He was raised to overthrow the grave.
To this I hold, my sin has been defeated,
Jesus now and ever is my plea!
Oh the chains are released, I can sing: I am free!
Yet not I, but through Christ in me!

With every breath I long to follow Jesus
For He has said that He will bring me home;
And day by day I know He will renew me
Until I stand with joy before the throne.
To this I hold, my hope is only Jesus,
All the glory evermore to Him!
When the race is complete, still my lips shall repeat:
Yet not I, but through Christ in me!


Prayers of Confession and Assurance

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil
for Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Our World Belongs to God, 2008 A.D.
Q&A 30

Q. What is the Holy Spirit doing among us?

A. The Spirit gathers people from every tongue,
tribe, and nation into the unity of the body of Christ.
Anointed and empowered by the Spirit, Jesus' Church is
sent into the world, ambassadors of God’s peace,
announcing forgiveness and reconciliation,
proclaiming the Good News of grace.
Going before them and with them, the Spirit
convinces the world of sin and pleads the cause of Christ.
Men and women, impelled by the Spirit, go next door and far away into science and art, media and marketplace—every area of life, pointing to the reign of God with what they do and say.


Benediction Based on Romans 15:13

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace
as you trust in Him so that you may overflow with
hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Now go be among your
neighbors, joining in the Spirit's work to share the Gospel
with the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.


Next sermon audio + liturgy notes post: Gospel Series Cont. | Jesus' Healing Power for People on the Margins

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment