Thursday, May 16, 2019

Freedom in the Spirit Series | Free to Pray with Shameless Boldness for the Holy Spirit + Saturday, May 11

Holy Spirit Sky by Theresa Dedmon



When was the last time you prayed a shamelessly bold prayer?


Sermon Audio | Free to Pray with Shameless Boldness for the Holy Spirit

Sermon Scriptures | Luke 11:1-13

Sermon Story | Tatiana Goricheva, atheist Russian scholar, Orthodox Church convert

" ... in a Yoga book a Christian prayer, the 'Our Father', was suggested as an exercise ... I began to say it as a mantra, automatically and without expression. I said it about six times, and then I was suddenly turned inside out. I understood – not with my ridiculous understanding, but with my whole being – that he exists. He, the living, personal God, who loves me and all creatures, who has created the world, who became a human being out of love, the crucified and risen God. At that moment I understood and grasped the 'mystery' of Christianity, the new, true life. That was real, genuine deliverance. At this moment everything in me changed. The old me died. I gave up not only my earlier values and ideals, but also my old habits. Finally my heart was also opened. I began to love people. I could understand their suffering and also their lofty destiny ... " + The Unknown Christ: Dispatches from the Emmaus Road 

Sermon Creed | Our World Belongs to God 28 + 29: The Spirit

At Pentecost (and with Emmaus City Church today), promises old and new are fulfilled. The ascended Jesus becomes our baptizer, drenching us with His Spirit, creating a new community where Father, Son, and Holy Spirit make their home. Revived and filled with the breath of God, our women and men, young and old, dream dreams and see visions. The Spirit renews our hearts and moves us to faith, leads us into Truth, and helps us to pray, stands by us in our need, and makes our obedience fresh and vibrant. God the Spirit lavishes gifts on (Emmuas City) Church in astonishing variety—prophecy, encouragement, healing, teaching, service, tongues, discernment—equipping each member to build up the body of Christ and to serve our neighbors.

Sermon Illustration | Thirst No More + Jago


Thirst No More by Jago

Artwork Scriptures | John 4:14, 7:38-39

Jesus said, "Whoever drinks from the water that I will give them will never get thirsty again. In fact, the water I will give them will become a well of water springing up in them for eternal life. ... Those who believe in Me, as the Scripture has said, will have streams of living water flow from deep within them.” Jesus said this about the Spirit.

Sermon Song | Father You Are All We Need + Citizens and Saints

Call to Worship | Psalm 51:10-12143:7-11

Holy Spirit
Jesus Culture, 2014 A.D.

There's nothing worth more that could ever come close,
No thing can compare, You're our living hope,
Your presence, Lord!

I've tasted and seen of the sweetest of loves,
When my heart becomes free and my shame is undone,
Your presence, Lord!

Holy Spirit, You are welcome here,
Come flood this place and fill the atmosphere.
Your glory God is what our hearts long for,
To be overcome by Your presence, Lord.


Let us become more aware of Your presence!
Let us experience the glory of Your goodness!

Fill Me Up | Yes Lord Yes Gospel Medley
T. Cobbs & S. Caesar, 2015 & 2007 A.D.

You provide the fire, I'll provide the sacrifice.
You provide the Spirit, I will open up inside.
Fill me up, God (x3) ... Fill me up.

Love of God, overflow. Permeate all my soul.

Fill me up until I overflow!
I want to run over, I want to run over!

I’ll say yes, Lord, yes
To Your will and to Your way!
I’ll say yes, Lord, yes
I will trust You and obey!
When Your Spirit speaks to me
With my whole heart I’ll agree,
And my answer will be
Yes Lord, yes!

Reckless Love
Bethel Music, 2017 A.D.

Before I spoke a word,
You were singing over me.
You have been so, so good to me.
Before I took a breath,
You breathed Your life in me.
You have been so, so kind to me.

Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending
Reckless love of God!
It chases me down, fights 'til I'm found,
Leaves the ninety-nine!
I couldn't earn it and I don't deserve it,
Still You give Yourself away!
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending
Reckless love of God!


When I was your foe,
Still Your love fought for me.
You have been so, so good to me.
When I felt no worth,
You paid it all for me.
You have been so, so kind to me.
(Chorus)

There's no shadow You won't light up,
Mountain You won't climb up,
Coming after me!
There's no wall You won't kick down,
Lie You won't tear down,
Coming after me! (Chorus)

The Feast
William Gadsby, 1838 A.D.

With wondering eyes, Lord we admire
The feast prepared by grace;
Come, Lord, and set our souls on fire,
And fill each heart with peace.
These emblems of Your precious love,
By faith may we receive.
And with a solemn pleasure prove,
We in Your name believe.

We eat this bread, we drink this wine,
Come give Yourself to us.
We know You’re here, that’s why we’ve come,
To feast on You with love.


No goodness of our own we bring;
We’re sinners vile and base;
Christ is our all; of Christ we sing,
And long to see His face.
O may we each with heart and tongue
Sing, “Worthy is the Lamb!”;
To Him alone the praise belongs,
And we’ll adore His name. (Chorus)


Most High God
K. Thompson & Crown of Glory, 2010 A.D.

All other gods, they are the works of men.
You are the most high God, there is none like You!
Jehovah, You are the most high!
You are the most high God!

Jehovah, eh-eh! Jehovah, ah-ah!
Jehovah, eh-eh! You are the most high God!

You are good and Your mercy is forever, Hallelujah!


Prayers for Shameless Boldness in the Spirit

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil
for Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Benediction | Matthew 28:18-20

Celebrant: He is risen! People: He is risen indeed!
Celebrant: All power in heaven and on earth is given to Jesus.
Now go in the peace and power of His Holy Spirit to make
disciples, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son,
and the Holy Spirit, teaching them how to listen to and obey
every good, true, and beautiful thing Jesus said. And remember, He is with you always. You are sent out in Jesus' grace and peace!


Next sermon audio and liturgy notes: Free to Receive the Person, Peace, & Power of the Holy Spirit

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment