Friday, December 19, 2014

Advent 2014 | Jackie Hill Perry's "The Art of Joy" Lyrics

Emmaus City Worcester MA Soma Acts 29 3DM Christian Reformed Multi-ethnic Network of Missional Communities

 

Living the lyrics of Jackie Hill Perry's "The Art of Joy" from her album 

The Art of Joy  during this season of Advent


I recently shared about my great appreciation for the power and poetry of Jackie Hill Perry's "I Just Wanna Get There" lyrics and melody. And during this season, in recently reflecting on and preaching on "Jesus Is Our Joy: Why We Need Advent" last Sunday, Jackie has supplied another anthem for this most wonderful time of year in looking back at and looking to the Advent of Jesus, our Immanuel.

"The Art of Joy" lyrics from the album The Art of Joy

By Jackie Hill Perry

 


When I wake up,
New mercies meet me; 
...
This worship is rehearsal.
It's universal who You work through.
The Church's purpose is to search You.
This verse's purpose 
Is to alert the murkin' purpose of the joy thief.
I see him hitting with a joy beat
Inside the commands to plan beat,
Destroy me,
The parts of me that can enjoy Thee.
... 
Hell's rotten with objects that reject
Better yet
They've forgotten the compass
That their optics only option
Is to spotting the opera
When His adoption got you.
... 
It's a process when you're rockin' His promise.
Let's be honest.
They're some blinders this time in my progress.
Then I remember ...  

You make us happy when we look at You.
You make us happy when we look for You.
Satisfaction only happens to
Those who are glad in You.
Glad in You. 

I tried to find joy in everything.
Searched a couple mountains.
Even thought I could get it from "two-for-fifteens"      
That could fill my lungs with something higher
And inspire me like a Sistine.
It didn't work.
What did it
Was the finished work,
Brought me back to Himself.
Now I'm living in reverse
Seeing good gifts as a glimpse of the Giver,
Not the gifts as the giver,
"Merry Christmas!" if the vision works.
If you've seen Him, then you get it,
An image no sentence could keep out of our mental prison.
...
When it was finished
That was the beginning of our joy.
...
If I'm happy in You, 
I'm happy with You.
Attraction to You
Makes the drastic passions 
Turn to ashes.
Grab the urn and burn it faster 
Than the Jackie churnin' track
That is satisfaction serving you.
I'm just happy learning You.  

You make us happy when we look at You.
You make us happy when we look for You.
Satisfaction only happens to
Those who are glad in You.
Glad in You. 

Next Post: Advent 2014 Week 3 | Jesus Is Our Joy Quotes
Sunday, December 14  Saturday, December 20

 Sully
 

No comments:

Post a Comment