Monday, February 12, 2018

Gospel Identities | Baptized and Sent as the Beloved Family of God + February 10, 2018




Being the Beloved Family of God in the Every Day Stuff of Life


Jesus came as God in the flesh to show us the heart of God for His family. In the words of Eugene Peterson, God "moved into the neighborhood" as Jesus ate, played, learned, celebrated, worked with His hands, and rested just like the rest of humanity.

In many ways this is why people in his hometown questioned Him and asked, "Isn't He the carpenter's son who lived among us, doing normal stuff like the rest of us?" (Matthew 13:53-58). The difference is that Jesus did everything for His heavenly Father's glory. He lived all of His life as an expression of His love for God the Father. Jesus did what Israel didn't do. He did what the people in Nazareth and we don't do. He set apart every aspect of His life as holy unto God. He served, shared with, and loved others because He knew God is a serving God who gives good gifts and is love Himself.

Jesus lived every part of His life in submission to God. Every action was an act of love to God and others, and every one of His thoughts was directed by God. Holy Jesus lived a holy life wholly unto God by the Holy Spirit. And after thirty years of living this way, Jesus began to publicly proclaim the Good News of God's Kingdom — that there was a new order to things for all, and He was going to bring all of life under God's authority as the Kingdom of heaven came near to the world through Him.

As the Kingdom of heaven was declared and demonstrated by Him, Jesus called His disciples to be a holy people who would live all of life wholly unto God with Him as God had always intended for humanity (Genesis 1:26-31Exodus 19:3-61 Peter 2:59-10). Jesus proclaimed the Good New of the Kingdom of heaven and lived a Good-News life, showing what God's rule and reign looks like when God breaks into the normal stuff of everyday life.

Today, we are also invited by Jesus to come be His disciples, and called into a Good-News life with Him as we are baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and taught to obey everything He commanded as He leads us with all the authority of the Kingdom of heaven on earth (Matthew 28:18-20). To live out the purposes of the Kingdom of heaven with Jesus together as His disciples, we need to know and believe in the identity we have in Him, because it is out of this that we will do everything we do.

Being baptized into the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit as His disciples means we are called to live knowing God is our Father and we are His family; Jesus is our King and we are His Kingdom servants; and the Holy Spirit is our Helper and Sender and we are His Kingdom ambassadors. Our new name in the Father, Son, and Spirit represents both who God says we are and what He plans to do through us. In receiving the identity God has given us, our Good-News life together begins to reveal the Kingdom of heaven as we are sent to learn from, love, serve, and share Jesus with others.

+ Adapted from Saturate: Being Disciples of Jesus in the Everyday Stuff of Life by Jeff Vanderstelt


Old Testament Scripture Reading Isaiah 64:4-8

New Testament Sermon Text Matthew 3:12-4:25

Lord's Prayer | Praying for Jesus' Kingdom Impact in Us and in Worcester

Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34


One: Almighty God, our Father and King,
thank You for calling us to turn to You
and become disciples of Jesus who reveal
that the Good News of the Kingdom of heaven
is for all who know their need of You.

All: Father, come to us with care.
Be full of compassion and mercy,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
In this prayerful moment in Your presence
and power, grant us faith and confidence
that here today, broken lives are being
made whole by You and Your tender care.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

One: Father, thank You that
Your kindness leads us to repentance.
Thank You that no one, not even ourselves,
can take us out of Your hand. God,
help us remember our baptismal identity
in the name of the Father, and the Son,
and the Holy Spirit, and when we forget,
remind us that:

All: In Jesus, we are seen, called,
saved, loved and forgiven! Amen.

Wondrous Love
By Anonymous
1811 A.D.

What wondrous love is this,
O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this,
O my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse
For my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse
For my soul.

When I was sinking down,
Sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down,
Sinking down,
When I was sinking down
Beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown
For my soul, for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown
for my soul.

To God and to the Lamb,
We will sing, we will sing;
To God and to the Lamb
We will sing.
To God and to the Lamb
Who is the great “I Am”;
While millions join the theme,
We will sing, we will sing;
While millions join the theme,
We will sing.

Oh how high, oh how wide
Oh how deep is Your love!
Oh my soul, set on fire
By Your wondrous love for us!

And when from death we're free,
We'll sing on, we’ll sing on;
And when from death we're free,
We’ll sing on.
And when from death we're free,
We’ll sing and joyful be,
And through eternity we’ll sing on,
We’ll sing on,
And through eternity we’ll sing on.
(Repeat Bridge)

Most High God
By Kofi Thompson
& Crown of Glory
2010 A.D.

All other gods,
they are the works of men.
You are the most high God,
There is none like You!Jehovah, You are the most high!
You are the most high God!

Jehovah, eh-eh! Jehovah, ah-ah!
Jehovah, eh-eh! You are the most high God!

You are good and Your mercy is forever,
Hallelujah!


This is Amazing Grace
By Phil Wickham
2013 A.D.

Who breaks the power
Of sin and darkness?
Whose love is mighty
And so much stronger?
The King of Glory,
The King above all kings!
Who shakes the whole earth
With holy thunder?
And leaves us breathless
In awe and wonder?
The King of Glory,
The King above all kings!

This is amazing grace,
This is unfailing love,
That You would take my place,
That You would bear my cross!
You lay down Your life
That I would be set free!
Jesus, I sing for
All that You've done for me!


Who brings our chaos
Back into order?
Who makes the orphan
A son and daughter?
The King of Glory,
The King above all kings!
Who rules the nations
With truth and justice,
Shines like the sun in
All of its brilliance!
The King of Glory,
The King above all kings!
(Chorus)

Worthy is the Lamb
Who was slain!
Worthy is the King
Who conquered the grave!


Before the Throne of God Above
Charitie Lees Bancroft
1860 A.D.

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea,
A great high Priest whose name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands!
My name is written on His heart!
I know that while in heaven He stands,
No tongue can bid me thence depart,
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free!
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me,
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace.
One with Himself I cannot die,
My soul is purchased by His blood!
My life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God!
With Christ my Savior and my God!

Father Let Your Kingdom Come
By Urban Doxology, Liz Vice,
and Latifah Alattas (Page CXVI)
2017 A.D.

Hallelu! Hallelujah!
Father, let Your Kingdom come!

(x4)

May the works of my hands
Bring You joy.
(x4 + Chorus)

May the words from my mouth
Speak Your peace.
(x4 + Chorus)

You make all things new,
You make all things new
In places we don't choose;
You make all things new!
(Chorus

No Longer Slaves
By Bethel Music
2015 A.D.

You unravel me with a melody,
You surround me with a song
Of deliverance from my enemies
'Til all my fears are gone.

I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God.
No, I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God.From my mothers womb,
You have chosen me.
Love has called my name.
I've been born again into Your family,
Your blood flows through my veins.
(Chorus)

Woah, Woah ...

You split the sea
So I could walk right through it!
My fears were drowned
In perfect love!
You rescued me
So I can stand and sing
"I am a child of God!"


Heidelberg Catechism 
Q&A 1, 1563 A.D.
Q. What is your only comfort in life and death?

A. That I am not my own, 1
but belong with body and soul,
both in life and in death, 2
to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ. 3
He has fully paid for all my sins
with His precious blood, 4
and has set me free
from all the power of the devil. 5
He also preserves me in such a way 6
that without the will of my heavenly Father
not a hair can fall from my head; 7
indeed, all things must work together
for my salvation. 8
Therefore, by His Holy Spirit
He also assures me
of eternal life 9
and makes me heartily willing and ready
from now on to live for Him. 10

1. 1 Cor 6:19, 20.
2. Rom 14:7-9.
3. 1 Cor 3:23; Tit 2:14.
4. 1 Pet 1:18, 19; 1 Jn 1:7; 2:2.
5. Jn 8:34-36; Heb 2:14, 15; 1 Jn 3:8.
6. Jn 6:39, 40; 10:27-30; 2 Thess 3:3; 1 Pet 1:5.
7. Mt 10:29-31; Lk 21:16-18.
8. Rom 8:28.
9. Rom 8:15, 16; 2 Cor 1:21, 22; 5:5; Eph 1:13, 14.
10. Rom 8:14.

Benediction

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. + 2 Corinthians 13:14

Next post: Gospel Identities | Baptized and Sent as Jesus' Kingdom Servants

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike “Sully” Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment