Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Beginning 2017 in Prayer: Song, Prayer, and Eucharist Service + Saturday, January 21, 2017






Opening Readings

The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for He founded it on the seas and established it on the waters. Who is He, this King of glory? The Lord Almighty— He is the King of glory. + Psalm 24:1-2, 10

For in King Jesus all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. + Colossians 1:16-17

Great Are You Lord
By All Sons and Daughters
2013 A.D.

You give life, You are love,
You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore
Every heart that is broken.
Great are You, Lord.

It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise,
We pour out our praise.
It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise to You only.

All the earth will shout Your praise,
Our hearts will cry, these bones will sing,
“Great are You, Lord!”

Prayers of Praise

By Jason Ingram, Lauren Daigle
2014 A.D.

I am guilty
Ashamed of what I've done,
What I've become.
These hands are dirty,
I dare not lift them up
To the Holy One.

You plead my cause,
You right my wrongs,
You break my chains,
You overcome.
You gave Your life
To give me mine.
You say that I am free.
How can it be?
How can it be?

I've been hiding
Afraid I've let You down.
Inside I doubt
That You still love me,
But in Your eyes
There's only grace now.
(Chorus)

Though I fall,
You can make me new.
From this death
I will rise with You.
Oh the grace
Reaching out for me.
How can it be?
How can it be?
(Chorus)

But as for me, I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; You are my God, do not delay. But as for me, I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; Lord, do not delay. + Psalm 40:17, 70:5

Prayers of Confession

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. + 1 John 1:9 


God and neighbor, I confess I'm often lacking in compassion, confidence, and conviction. Help me, Jesus, and renew in me the deep gladness of Your salvation and Your disciples’ call to declare and demonstrate Your Good News to all.

God and neighbor, I confess the privileges that benefit me, including my safety and self-pity. Help me, Jesus, to give up my privilege and give in to Your way, truth, and abundant life.

God and neighbor, I confess that I'm tempted to contribute only in ways that make me feel best, not the actions that give You glory, share the Gospel of Jesus, and serve others most. Help me, Holy Spirit, to serve my neighbors in the ways that share the love of Christ most.

God and neighbor, I confess that I have caused the pain of, and am hurt by, injustice. Help me, merciful Father, to participate in Your Gospel ministry of reconciliation and healing.

God and neighbor, I confess my hope is in You and in Your Kingdom coming. Help me, Holy Spirit, to speak, work, live and rest in this truth moment by moment, day by day.


By Chris Tomlin
2011 A.D.

Lord, I come, I confess,
Bowing here I find my rest.
Without You I fall apart.
You're the One that guides my heart.

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You,
Every hour I need You;
My one defense,
My righteousness,
Oh God, how I need You!

Where sin runs deep, 
Your grace is more.
Where grace is found is
Where You are.
And where You are,
Lord, I am free,
Holiness is Christ in me!
(Chorus)

Teach my song to rise to You.
When temptation comes my way,
And when I cannot stand, I'll fall on You.
Jesus, You're my hope and stay.
(Chorus)

Holy Eucharist: “Do this in remembrance of Me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes. + Luke 22:19; 1 Corinthians 11:26

Prayer of Assurance

I pray that out of the Father’s glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ. + Ephesians 3:16-18

By Anonymous
1811 A.D.

What wondrous love is this, 
O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse
For my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul.

When I was sinking down, 
Sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down
Beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown
For my soul, for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul.

To God and to the Lamb,
I will sing, I will sing,
To God and to the Lamb, I will sing.
To God and to the Lamb,
Who is the great I Am,
While millions join the theme
I will sing, I will sing,
While millions join the theme, I will sing!

Oh how high, oh how wide,
Oh how deep is Your love!
Oh my soul, set on fire
By Your wondrous love for us!

And when from death I’m free,
I'll sing on, I’ll sing on;
And when from death I’m free,
I’ll sing on.
And when from death I’m free,
I’ll sing and joyful be,
And through eternity I’ll sing on,
I’ll sing on,
And through eternity I’ll sing on.
(Bridge)

By W. Spencer Walton
1894 A.D.

In tenderness He sought me,
Weary and sick with sin.
And on His shoulders brought me,
Back to His fold again.
While angels in His presence sang,
Until the courts of heaven rang!

Oh, the love that sought me!
Oh, the blood that bought me!
Oh, the grace that brought me
To the fold of God!
Grace that brought me to the fold of God!


He died for me while I was sinning,
Needy and poor and blind.
He whispered to assure me:
"I've found thee; thou art Mine."
I never heard a sweeter voice,
It made my aching heart rejoice!
(Chorus)

Upon His grace I'll daily ponder,
And sing anew His praise
With all adoring wonder,
His blessings I retrace.
It seems as if eternal days
Are far too short to sing His praise!
(Chorus)

Prayers of Thanksgiving

God I Look to You
By Bethel Music
2013 A.D.

God I look to You
And I won’t be overwhelmed.
Give me vision
To see things like You do.

God I look to You,
You’re where my help comes from.
Give me wisdom,
You know just what to do.

And I will love You, Lord, my Strength!
And I will love You, Lord, my Shield!
And I will love You, Lord, my Rock!
Forever all my days, I will love You, God!


Hallelujah! Our God reigns!
Forever all my days, Hallelujah!

Closing Prayer

Our holy God, You are slow to anger and full of compassion. You are our strength and our stronghold, our refuge in the day of trouble. You forgive all who humbly repent and trust in You, Jesus, as Savior and Lord. There is therefore now no condemnation for those of us who are in You, Jesus. And because of all You have done for us, we are in You, who became to us wisdom, righteousness and sanctification and redemption. Jesus, You are our great God and Savior. Thank You for giving Yourself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for Yourself a people that are Your very own, eager to do what is good. Thank You for this inexpressible gift! Amen. + Exodus 34:6-7; Jeremiah 16:19; Romans 8:1; 1 Corinthians 1:30; Titus 2:13-14; 2 Corinthians 9:15

+ Sully 

No comments:

Post a Comment